The King’s compassionate forgiveness
The servant’s lack of mercy
The King’s painful judgment
The Point (Nimshal):
God will judge you if you don’t accept his
forgiveness demonstrated by forgiving others.
Group Discussion Questions
- Why is it so hard to accept God’s forgiveness? Why do people find it so hard to forgive others?
- How do you struggle with the two dimensions of forgiveness: Without using names, who have you found hard to forgive and why? How have you dealt with guilt over your own sin?
- How do you feel about the amazing mercy the compassionate King shows to the servant who owes him 10,000 bags of gold?
- ave you accepted God’s grace in Jesus Christ to forgive your sin? If you have, share the story of when you did this.
- Do you struggle with fully accepting God’s forgiveness of all your sin? How could Jesus’ story help you with your struggle?
- How have you been like the servant in refusing to forgive someone in your life who owes you or who hurt you?
- How do you feel about the King’s judgment on the unmerciful servant? What is the point Jesus is making about God’s judgment?
- What is the relationship between our forgiving others and God’s forgiveness of us?
- Who do you need to forgive? How can you do it?
Family Discussion Questions
5 Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. 6 These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. 7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 8 Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. 9 Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates. Deuteronomy 6:5-9.
- As you read Matthew 18:23-35 what are your impressions of the parable? Who do you relate to in the story?
- Is it hard for you to ask for forgiveness? Why or why not? What about accepting God’s forgiveness?
- Are there people who are easier to forgive than others?
- Why do you think Jesus uses such a large amount of money in the story to show us how important it is to forgive one another?
- Read and memorize Matthew 6:9-13 together as a family. What is Jesus’ message to us in verse 12?
- What is the king’s judgment on the unmerciful servant? What is God telling us in this parable?
- Is there a sin you need to ask forgiveness for? Is there grace you need to extend to someone?
Sign up for Daily Word Email
You can receive the study as a daily email – a Daily Word waiting for you in your inbox to help you engage God individually. This is by subscription only – so sign up!